Wednesday, April 1, 2009

REVIEW: Pi Lo Chun, Tea Gschwendner

TEA GSCHWENDNER
EDMON'S COLLECTION
PI LO CHUN


Apparently, Pi Lo Chun's leaves resembled a snail to the originators of the name of this Chinese green tea; though, again, I'll have to take their word for it. to my eye, the leaves were quite tightly furled and small in size before they were steeped.

LEAVES
The green tea leaves were very green in color, and the steeped leaves were very large in size. I LOVED the smell of the leaves-- like grapes, and ash, and very bright.

THE CUP
This pi lo chun had a lovely golden-green liquor. It apparently has a fairly typical flavor profile for a green: It was fairly ascerbic (which I liked, and which reminds me a bit of some Darjeelings), with a bright, not bitter taste. Rather dry mouth-feeling in the mouth that develops awhile after the sip (the finish). that would translate to, "ascerbic finish" in tea-speak, apparently. This tea had a vegetal taste, with that roasted chestnut hint again, but primarily with a honey taste over all. Great cup of tea!

QUICK NOTE ON WHAT GREEN TEAS TASTE LIKE
Again, I am a green tea newbie, so I was trying hard to catch some of the flavors I would expect to find in a green. Green teas often have a floral flavor, with sometimes vegetal notes like endive. The vegetal taste was very off-putting to me before, but I can see now that brewed correctly, the flavors blend together beautifully. Also, greens can have a roasted chestnut note, or perhaps walnut-- creamy, bittersweet. You can also find flowery flavors and scents: lilac, hyacinth-- warm, floral notes. Since I know next to nothing about flowers, I will have to take his word for it. Also, the astringency is a notable characteristic for greens-- this dry mouthfeel in the finish.

0 comments: